Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

When We Shuffle Off

A small piece of toast, side of apple butter and a cup of peach tea are my only breakfast companion this chilly winter New York morning. Looking outside the cafĂ© window I see life in motion. Hello January! A brand new year is here! Some say it's our last. Others believe life will continue undisturbed.“Will there be anything else?” the waitress asks, inviting me to spiral further down the rabbit hole. I shake my head 'no' to other breakfast food, but will there, be, anything else?

My dad used to say: As many languages you speak, that many times you are a person. I am proud of my multilingual existence. Every few years I take on a new tongue. However, with the possibility of multiple dimensions, parallel worlds and reincarnation, that ‘existence’ infinitely multiplies! When Max Plank first kicked the idea of the string theory in motion, was he in pursuit of existential answers? Did Einstein ever waste his time thinking about death? Albie didn’t believe in wasting time. Einstein owned four identical suits to avoid time wasted thinking about what to wear each day. I wonder if Stephen Hawking thinks about life after death or if Michio Kaku believes in afterlife? Do any these brainiacs believe in God? Who among us hasn’t asked THE question at least once? French post-impressionist Gauguin went as far as painting his concerns in oil. Were do we come from? Who are we? What happens when we die?
The greatest poet of our time was also a phenomenal philosopher. In Hamlet’s famous soliloquy Shakespeare begins with: To be, or not to be. The bard questions life. Are we better off facing destiny, taking whatever cards we’re dealt or should we have courage enough to take matters into our own hands, thereby, calling it quits. Should we bid adieu to life? Should we rid ourselves of pain once and for all? For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come? Shakespeare asks. What happens when the soul separates from body? What are the mysterious twenty one grams that escape us when we finally 'shuffle off'? After all, tea spilling out from a broken cup is still tea, even soaked into a napkin, therefore, is the body nothing more than a shell? If this be true, who are we then? Are we the body or the mind?

What happened to the dead souls long before our time? Are they here? Are they above us? Beside us? Bellow? Are they watching over us? Are they the stars that come out every night? Is that where we come from? Is that where we go? Perhaps, we are stardust. 'There's the respect that makes calamity of so long life!' We must be cowards. IWhy do we live so long? We wait until our bodies give out; until we have no choice, but to pass. We would rather suffer inside our mortal shells afraid of the unknown, then embrace what comes! In the realm of the unknown, where we don't need a body, we do not suffer. Is suffering is the only way we know we’re alive? What if it is the only way we are aware of our existence?
I take the last sip of what is now a very cold and bitter cup of tea, hearing laughter inside my head. It is the proverbial tree in the forest laughing. We are all trees. Is it not true that without our senses we would not know of one another? If we couldn't see, taste, feel, hear or smell would we exist? Can it be concluded none of this is real? Can it be said that life is an illusion? What if life is a vibration of sounds, colors and impulses perceived by our brains? We only about 3%.

I think, therefore I am.

Clearly, without my body I can still hear my thoughts. I don't need ears to hear my thoughts. Why is it that I ignore my inside voice so often? Shouldn't I trust it? I am certain it knows me better than I know myself, but who am I? Am I that voice? Time is one. I believe all time is one. There is no before or after. There is only now. As cowards 'we grunt and sweat under this weary life' and rather than facing eternal void, we yearn to remain sleeping. I'm ashamed of this weakness.

Inside me, the voice says: "Follow the white rabbit, Neo!" I know it is the fear of the unknown holding me back. The 'undiscovered country, from whose bourn no traveler returns' It seems to be a scary place. To believe in heaven, one must believe in hell. If you want to believe there is good, you must believe in bad. Therefore, if there is a hell, we better take our sweet time getting there. (Just in case we're headed there...) Naturally, we are logical creatures. As George Bernard Shaw explains in Man and Superman, we are born greedy. We do what we can to survive and to protect ourselves. We do this out of fear. In history, the bravest living creatures faced their worst fears driven by love and passion in their hearts. Perhaps, that is the lesson we must learn. We are alive to overcome fear and to discover love.
Victor Frankel’s Man’s Search for a Meaning, work of Hobbs, Kafka, Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Shaw, Camus... philosophers whose books I read many moons ago, lead me to conclude that life is reason. It is the series of choices we make. It's school with non stop exams. We face that which we are afraid of over and over until we find love. Love is the greatest strength of all.

If humanity sprung from a few microbes, then, when we die, the show is over . There is nothing after death, but is this a pleasant thought? I suppose that kind of thinking makes everything easier. Does it make any sense? If there is nothing after death, why bother learning, experiencing, understanding at life at all? The truth is that if we had only one choice to make in life there's a reason for all this - life.

If we allow ourselves to believe in God and take part in the mass delusion embraced by all religions life and the possibility of afterlife gain definition. Therefore, the choices we make in life give meaning to our lives and by extension, define afterlife. If there is no life after death, life has no meaning. It is as easy as 1, 2, 3. None of us are quick to embrace God or religion, especially not in the modern world. Unless God is beaten into our brains from birth by our religious parents, religion makes very little sense to most of us. When we give meaning to our lives by choosing to believe in something we are eternal. Shall I call myself an optimist? My tea may be stone cold and bitter now, but my cup remains half full. Life is sweet.

6 comments:

Elisabeth said...

What a beautiful post! Very poetic and honest! BTW, I like apple butter :-)

Marika said...

Me too! Try pear butter, it's just as delish. My friend has a fabulous video blog called Blythe Raw - you'll find amazing recipes there. Definitely join us on her page. Thanks for the comment Elisabeth! XO

Anonymous said...

Hi Marika! I finally got around to reading your post. A lot of great questions in there. I think those honest questions open us up to really encountering the truth. Reading your post made me think of the Apostle Paul when he was addressing a group of Greek intellectuals...he said to them:

"24 “The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. 25 And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. 26 From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. 27 God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. 28 ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’"

I love that passage because the picture being painted is that God is everywhere and He's waiting to be stumbled upon at any moment. He's inescapable. He's all around us, gently (and sometimes strongly) nudging us toward Himself.

Thanks for sharing your questions and thoughts with the blog world! Keep seeking!

Jeremiah 29:13
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart"-God

Leroy

Marika said...

Leroy!

Thank so much for reading and also commenting. You didn't really analyze my essay, but I do get your response to it. I strongly agree what you call God and I call nature is everywhere around us and higher power is never too far for those who seek it out. I must say however that I believe the middle way between two opposites is the right way to be, so I personally don't take things to extreme. Being spiritual is definitely important, I won't argue that, but when you see everything only one way, you limit yourself. In your case, however, I make an exception, since you teach theology, this must be your only way to see things and I know where your passion comes from. PS: Very nice final quote.

Marika

Kelsey said...

So you believe God is a delusion, and nature is the ultimate force governing everything we cannot control?
That's at least what I took from your post, which was beautiful and thought provoking and exactly what I personally needed on this Thursday night.
If I assumed correctly about your beliefs, I must say I agree with you. I think natural laws are just as spiritual and magical as a "man" God, and we are just egocentric to believe that this great force is a human like us. There is such beauty in what we cannot control, and even in what we cannot know. Granted, learning is one of the most enjoyable things life can offer and we should never stop trying to learn, but we should except that there are going to be questions which have been and will forever be: unanswered.

But again, I enjoyed your post so much because of the fact that it did probe into possible answers to these unanswerable questions. And I thank you for that :)

Marika said...

First of all, if something ails you and u need a chat, my email is up top - filmfelineadmin at gmail and don't hesitate to confide. Second, thank so much! I am wondering if you're Kelly's daughter Kelsey... if so, I have another reason to congratulate him for having such an intelligent kid, who thinks for herself, instead of being a sheeple. I don't think I said there is no God, quite contrary I am convinced at a higher power, I just believe that evidence of it is all around us in nature and it's time we begin to respect it, unlike organized religion. It feeds into hatred, no matter how loving the religious people are among themselves, they don't feel the same way about those who differ in their views. It's easy to love someone who thinks like you, it's much more difficult to love your enemy or to at least accept that your enemy has the right to the same choice you made. The number of people who have died in the name of God is devastating and unfortunate. If you say you are religious, if you say you believe in God, act godlike. Intelligence and maturity are exemplified in those who can have a calm debate and are willing to listen as well as talk. This is not easy, but rewarding, as you learn more about other people and by extension - yourself. We are alive for two reasons only - to overcome fear and to learn to love. Love needs to be extended to all living beings. We all better shape up, believe in a higher power, and respect the world we live in as well as each other, and all other living creatures. We must live and learn to survive together. Then we can drink cappuccinos and finally, when we 'shuffle off' and enjoy eternal peace.

Post a Comment